In this issue of Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy, we explore some of the battles and campaigns of the Achaemenid Empire, an ancient powerhouse that controlled large swaths of Central Asia and the Near East for centuries.
The Achaemenid Persians at war
- Jeff Jonas, 'Rise and fall of the Achaemenid Persians - Dust and fire'.
- Jeff Jonas, 'Darius I's invasion of Scythia, 513 BC - The oldest grudge'.
- Mike Evans, 'The nascency of the Greco-Persian Wars - The revolt in Ionia'.
- Eoghan Kelly, 'Internal turmoil at the Battle of Cunaxa, 401 BC - Cyrus' gamble'.
- Guy Bowers, 'Looking at the Achaemenid Persian army - The armies of Persepolis'.
- Andreas Heneborn, 'Persians on the beach at Marathon - Backs against the wall'.
- David Davies, 'The 1544 English raid on Scotland's capital - Edinburgh's burning'.
- Eoghan Kelly, 'The Battle of Saragarhi 12 September 1897 - No fear of death'.
- James Oram, 'A look at point values and tournaments - Points on points'.
- Chris King, 'Operation Blücher, the Dunkirk Offensive 1945 - Fortress Dunkirk'.
- Guy Bowers, 'Fighting naval actions in stormy weather - Weathering the storm'.
- Tony Harwood, 'Scratch-built walls for the wargame table - Standing like a stone wall'.
- Joe Bilton, 'Creating and building an iconic location - The house on Dead Man's Corner'.
- Miniature reviews
- Rick Priestley, 'This gaming life - More old toy soldiers'.
- Chris King, 'The Irregular - Ferocious in battle, magnanimous in victory'.
- Jim Webster, 'The small-scale big battle Ancient game - Let's play Strength and Honour'.
- Chris King, 'A Gothic horror wargame in the Napoleonic era - Let's play The Silver Bayonet'.
- David Frederick, Eoghan Kelly, and James Oram, 'Game reviews - Flintlocks & Percussion Caps, Bolt Action Campaign Italy: Soft Underbelly, Reign in Hell and Lion Rampant: A Viking in the sun'.
- Book reviews
- Parting shots