alertPlease note that the ongoing public health situation will have an effect on shipping and fulfilment for some products ordered from our webshop. Please visit our shipping page for the latest, detailed information. (Last updated July 22nd, 2020)

Painting the Junkers Ju 88

In my last blog, I discussed my planning for painting a Junkers Ju 88 for Blood Red Skies. Now to paint the model.

I painted the underside light blue first, then the entire top Dunkelgrün. As painting the straight camouflage lines can be tricky, I decided to use masking tape to get the sharp edges I wanted. I then applied the Schwartzgrün.

This worked well except disaster struck, as I peeled off the tape, some of the paint came away. Thankfully it was an easy fix and a quick touch-up. Next time I'll remember to seal the kit with a layer of varnish and put on two layers of the Dunkelgrün (as you can see from the photos, it's a little thin).

It may have been my failure to clean the plastic before I undercoated it. I then added the glass panels to the kit. In future, I might paint over the windows, as they don't quite look right to me. I saw an excellent example of this at the Warlord store in Nottingham.

The transfers were a little large for the kit, but once added, the final model looks pretty good. I'm tempted to add a wash over it to make it less 'factory fresh'.  The JU 88 will make an excellent addition to our Blood Red Skies games. Now to get hold of some Me-109's and some more JU 88s.

Leave a Reply
Post your comment

Karwansaray Publishers