Covid-19 shipping delays (last updated April 1st, 2020)
Here at Karwansaray, we take pride in providing the best service possible. That means fulfilling and shipping out all orders placed in our webshop quickly and efficiently, while striving to keep shipping costs reasonable for our customers.
Unfortunately, the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic is causing major disruptions to worldwide supply chains and delivery services, which, inevitably, has an impact on the service we can currently offer. Below are listed specific, known issues that may impact the status of your order. However, the situation is fluid and constantly changing, and we are not able to provide accurate information on how the outbreak effects every country in the world. However, we will do our best to keep you updated with what information we have, when we have it:
- First of all, the good news. All DIGITAL PRODUCTS (including subscriptions and back issues) remain uneffected. These products are always made available shortly after purchase, no matter where you live in the world.
- PAPER SUBSCRIPTIONS: Subscription fulfilment continues as normal, to all destinations that have not placed a complete restriction on mail delivery. At this time we ARE still shipping subscription copies to all international destinations, despite some limitations on other products ordered from our webshop (see below). Please note that this also includes all pre-orders of new issues, even if you are not a regular subscriber. The subscriber copies and pre-orders are sent out at the same time using a method that is less subject to disruption, but unfortunately not available for all orders.
- There is currently a restriction on smaller orders (except for pre-orders, see above) being sent to all destinations OUTSIDE of mainland Europe, Ireland, and the UK. This effects all non-subscription orders UNDER 2kg. Fulfilment of packages in this weight range going to non-European/UK destinations is temporarily suspended. Larger, tracked packages are still being sent via dedicated freight services, so for the time being fulfilment to all destinations will continue as normal if your order is OVER 2kg.
- Despite timely dispatch on our end, it is extremely likely that there will be minor to extreme delivery delays to a variety of destinations, due to staffing issues, increased demand on postal systems, and quarantines which may limit the activity of some or all delivery services in a given region. We are unable to offer more specific guidance on this point due to how fast things keep changing, but we would suggest you allow 2-3 additional weeks for delivery beyond what might be normally expected before contacting customer service. Again, results will likely vary a great deal, and we recommend you use local resources to keep tabs on the current situation in your country.
These are uncertain times, so more than anything, your patience and understanding in this matter is much appreciated. Stay safe, stay well, and do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Orders are shipped from our fulfillment center on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, with orders that come in before noon CET generally shipping the same day. Customers will be notified by email at the time of shipping. From that moment, customers in the UK get their orders within days. In Europe your order will arrive within a week or two and some two to three weeks in the rest of the world.
Subscriptions always start with the first upcoming issue. Once a new subscription has been processed, the subscriber will be notified by mail or email with an indication of the timeframe for this first issue.
New issues are shipped immediately upon receipt of stock from the printer. All subscribers will be notified by email at this time. Subscription copies should arrive within 10-15 days of that moment within Europe and within about three weeks in the rest of the world.
Note: If your delivery address changes after you purchase a subscription, please let us know. For more on change of address, see here.
We use a variety of shipping companies to get the best shipping rates as well as reliability and shipping speed. Most small orders are shipped via untracked post. Above a certain threshold that differs depending on where you are in the world, We ship via a variety of couriers including DHL and DPD.
We realize that shipping costs for products in the store may sometimes seem unreasonably high, especially for our overseas customers. This is due to the realities of international shipping, which very quickly becomes quite costly for large, heavy orders. We are constantly searching for the best shipping rates we can and will pass these straight on to you, but even so, prices are likely to remain high for large orders. Please also be aware that for customs, security and legal reasons, we are required to attach a shipping manifest to all orders larger than 2 kilos. In many countries, books and magazines are not subject to import tax, but depending on where you live, you may have to pay extra fees or duties above the cost of your actual order.
For the most accurate information on shipping to your location, please use the shipping cost calculator in the shopping cart. It automatically shows the correct postage costs for your country and items in the cart at that time.
Some products and orders qualify for free shipping worldwide. This applies in these cases
- Digital products, obviously, as well as gift cards.
- All subscriptions. The price you pay depends entirely on the selected subscription length and any additional options.
- All orders with a total value of €75 or more.