alertTo reduce delays and eliminate customs fees, we now ship from the UK, US (for US customers) and the Netherlands (for EU customers). Please visit our shipping page for the latest, detailed information. (Last updated June 24nd, 2021)

French horse artillery (Part 1)

As part of our Project Ligny for 2015, I’m painting a lot of French. A lot. I’m even beginning to dream in French uniforms, waking up in a sweat while trying to remember if I have the right shade of uniform or the right cuffs for light infantry.

 To keep the painting fresh for our project, our club has been holding a monthly competition. Previously we did command bases, so for January we decided on the best-painted artillery model. I wanted something dynamic, so I chose French horse artillery.

I’m an admitted fan of the work of the Perrys, so I chose the Foundry Horse Artillery set (FN 319) with a 6” Howitzer (FNGUN 2). I picked these models because they depict a lovely action scene, with the gunners desperately wheeling their gun into place.

My painting style is admittedly not the best. I’m not as studious as some people I know and just simply not as good. However, I need quantity at the cost of some quality – if i can produce a large number of miniatures to a reasonable standard and at a good rate, this will satisfy me more than a few very well painted models. I mainly use Vallejo colours. However, there are several alternatives if you don’t have these exact paints.

For the horse artillery, I used the same technique as for my French infantry. The models were sprayed with a base coat of Army Painter Crystal Blue, which was then given a wash of Vallejo Prussian Blue (965). The finished models would be too dark with a further black wash, so I chose to instead use the Prussian Blue over the Dark Prussian Blue, as I didn’t want the finished models to appear too dark.

Next, I added the flesh tones, followed by a dark grey (Vallejo Black Grey 862) for the boots, shako, and black leather. In hindsight, the skin would work better with a white undercoat before adding the flesh shade, so I will do this on future models. For some of the Shako covers, I used a buff colour.

I then added the white, which would make up the majority of the belts and straps on the models, plus form a base for the parts I would later paint red (piping and epaulettes) or brown (wood). I used several types of white (including Citadel Skull White, an old favourite), but really anything with good coverage will do (I hate having to go over a section twice). Finally, I added the red, brown and brass (for the buttons). The models were then given a dark wash (I used Army Painter Dark Tone ink).

To finish, I highlighted a few of the lighter areas (namely the face with a lighter flesh tone and the strapping with an off-white). A few stripes of buff were added to the shako covers and the tricolor rosette added to the shakos where visible. While they’re not master quality, I am happy with the results - quick and effective.

In the next blog, I’ll look at how I painted the artillery piece and did the basing (always my bane: good basing!).

Leave a Reply
Post your comment

Karwansaray Publishers