This island off the coast of Italy has been a strategic bone of contention for millenia. In this issue, we explore some of the many wars fought over the Sicilian shores, from antiquity to WWII.
Warfare on the island of Sicily
- Riccardo Bixio, 'Sicily, the boxing ring of the Mediterranean - The stepping-stone to Europe'.
- Francisco Luis Erize, 'Street fighting on the eve of the Punic Wars - Messana: the spark that lit a flame'.
- Riccardo Bixio, 'Medieval Sicily and the 1300 Battle of Gagliano - The very last "Desperata Ferro!"'.
- Eoghan Kelly and Riccardo Bixio, 'Garibaldi and the Battle of Milazzo, 20 July 1860 - Spedizione dei mille'.
- Dan and Rex Withers, 'A WWII British Bolt Action scenario set on Sicily - Assault on Johnny I'.
- Guy Bowers, 'Looking at Sicily through the ages - An offer you can't refuse'.
- Paul Cubbin, 'Multiculturalism in medieval Sicily - Carving out and island kingdom'.
- David Davies, 'To catch an admiral: Operation Vengeance - Killing Yamamoto'.
- Greg Wagman, 'The death of Brian Born, High King of Ireland - Defend the king!'.
- Joseph A. McCullough, 'A Silver Bayonet scenario for two or more players - Guardian of the shrine'.
- Olve Kroknes, 'A Norwegian ad-hoc battalion ambushes the invader - Lundehøgda 1940'.
- Stuart Pearson, 'Where to start with the Wars of Napoleon - Six steps to Napoleonics'.
- Andy Lilof, 'Modelling 28mm British troops for World War II - In praise of plastic'.
- Tony Harwood, 'Scratch-built fences for the wargame table - Safe behind wooden walls'.
- Miniature reviews
- Richard Clarke, 'Up front - Reconsidering troop ratings'.
- Chris Breese, 'The Irregular - This thing is ours'.
- Chris King, 'Playing the 100 Days Campaign in an epic scale - Let's play Epic Waterloo'.
- Ian Beal, Eoghan Kelly, James Oram, and Chris Payne, 'Game reviews - SAGA: Age of Invasions, Age of Panda: Battle Games in Seventh-Century Britain, Forgotten Battles from France and Germany and Wars of the Republic'.
- Book reviews
- Parting shots